Turn Your Old Barrel Into an Outdoor Fire Pit!
Fall is finally here, which means crisp, cool mornings and nights - also known as sweater weather. While we love the heat of summer and harvest season, we love this change in the season when the leaves in the vineyard start to change color, and everything slows down a little. It's also the perfect season for gathering around the fire pit with a glass of red wine.
We came upon this DIY project for a fire pit made out of a wine barrel and thought it was a pretty cool way to upcycle some of the used barrels we have at the winery. If you're looking for another way to add more wine country decor to your outdoor space, this is it! This tutorial is courtesy of Instructables. If you're in need of a barrel, we have some available for sale at our sister winery, Rubino Estates. Head on over during regular business hours to check them out!
DIY Wine Barrel Fire Pit
- Sheet sander/Belt Sander
- Sandpaper 60/80 Grit & 120/150 Grit
- Wood Stain
- Fire Pit 29'' Home Depot Fire Pit
- Wine Barrel cut in half
- Prepare the barrel for staining by sanding the exterior. Start with the roughest grit and then move on to the finer grit until the exterior is completely smooth.
- Stain the barrel to your liking.
- Sand down the metal bands using 80 grit to remove any drips of stain.
- Insert fire pit bowl and grate into wine barrel.
And there you have it! Though we'd add one more final instruction: Light fire and enjoy a nice glass of Ruby Hill wine! It's the last week for our wine of the month, the 2016 Ruby Hill Reserve Petite Sirah; it's the perfect fireside sipping! Tag us on social @rubyhillwines the next time you're cozying up around the fire pit.
CommentsCommenting has been turned off.
Enjoy complimentary ground shipping when you order 6 or more bottles.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Keep up to date on the latest wine releases, events, and promotions.